This is an interesting question, what are the different types of guitar? I have made a list with picture underneath so that you can check each type. I am mainly a fan of the electrical guitar or the 6 string acoustic but there are others that love to play all sorts of other interesting guitars. Go through this list and you might find you would like to play other guitars. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
TYPES OF GUITARS WITH PICTURES
THE CLASSICAL GUITAR
The Classical guitar comes with six nylon strings. the fret board of this guitar is wider than the normal acoustic. The nylon strings make for a softer sound when playing. You will also find that the nylon strings can go out of tune faster than the average steel stringed guitar. The main reason for this is because the nylon strings stretch when tuning them in. After the strings have stretched enough they will settle. Once the strings settle they wont stretch any more and therefore will stay in tune longer. Most classical guitars will come with shorter necks and a different looking guitar head (compared to the acoustic). – Types of Guitars with Pictures
- Easier on the fingers. On normal acoustic steel stringed guitars your finger tips will need to have calluses to be able to play. The classical guitar does not hurt your finger tips as much.
- Plays romantic songs nicely. So if you wanting to serenade your girlfriend then this will be your guitar of choice.
- Good for finger picking. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
- The strings can go out of tune quicker than the acoustic or electrical guitar.
- The sound is not a good as an acoustic guitar.
- The neck is wider making it more difficult to play.
- The style is not so great, almost looks like an older type of guitar. One day we might say this was one of the older guitars.
- You wont be able to play this guitar in a band as it wont play loud enough. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
THE SIX STRING STANDARD ACOUSTIC GUITAR
The standard acoustic guitar comes with six steel strings. This is possibly the most popular guitar amongst guitarists especially beginner guitarists. I learnt to play on an acoustic. The sound that comes from it sound much better than the classical guitar. These sort of guitars can be played in church bands and even in normal rock or pop bands. Most of these guitars do not come with a plug in port where you can connect it to a sound system. But this is not a problem as you can attached a pick up just under the strings that will do the trick. These guitars are also perfect to play around the camp fire or to a smallish crowd. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
- Very easy to play and the neck is a lot narrower than the classical guitar.
- Perfect for beginners.
- Strings do not go out of tune as quick as the classical guitar (depending on the quality – really cheap guitars can go out of tune very quickly).
- Most acoustic guitars sound fantastic if played correctly. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
- Very tough on the fingers, if you are a beginner guitarist you will find the steel string guitar will dig into your finger tips, this can be very painful. You will have this until you have calluses on your finger tips. If you strum without a pick you will find that the strings might cut open your finger when strumming.
- Cannot plug into a sound system or AMP you will therefore need to purchase a pick up. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
THE ACOUSTIC ELECTRIC GUITAR
Most acoustic electric guitars look like the regular acoustic. The main difference is that they have a built in electronic package. This will allow you to plug in your guitar and play it like an electric guitar. Most of these guitars have a built in tuner which is great. These guitars a very popular in church bands as they are easy to play in and play. Most acoustic electrics will have a plug in hole at the bottom of the guitar. If you are a serious guitarist even as a beginner you would want to purchase one of these.
- Can plug in and play through a sound system or AMP.
- Most of these guitars comes with a built in tuner.
- Also easy to play as they have narrow necks, easy for your fingers to reach any chord positions.
- Sound awesome.
- You will need to buy a battery to power up the electronics. You will also need to purchase a back up battery just in case the one you use goes flat.
- Very hard on your finger tips – especially for beginners. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
THE TWELVE STRING STANDARD ACOUSTIC GUITAR
The twelve string guitar is not a beginners instrument. You will need to know how to play before playing one of these. Led Zeplin is famous for using this guitar especially for Rain Song. There are loads of other famous artists that also use this instrument. If you have been playing the guitar for a while you will easily pick up the difference between the normal guitar and the twelve string. They are also more difficult to play as you will need to press harder. One the normal six string guitar you press one string down while playing, with the twelve string guitar you will press down two strings instead of one. So its not like you will need to play new chords or play differently. The strings are grouped in two’s and the one underneath the top one sounds a little different.
12 STRING TUNING
12 STRING GUITAR TIPS
- When replacing strings on this guitar only take off one string at a time. If you take off all string in one go it will have to much release on the guitar neck.
- Tune the guitar with standard tuning. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
- Sounds great when playing. Has a very full sound.
- Very difficult to play as you will need to press the strings down extra hard.
- More difficult to tune in.
- More expensive than the regular acoustic guitar.
- This guitar can go out of tune very easy.
THE RESONATOR GUITAR
This a strange looking guitar and for that reason I would not purchase one. I am all about what something looks like. But you might want to learn more about this awkward looking guitar. There is a very valid reason why this guitar has this look. Long before amplifiers and sound systems the guitar would easily be out played by most other instruments. So someone decided they would add this round piece or cone as they call it to the guitar to help amplify the sound. You get two different types of resonator guitars, the metal one and the wooden one. You will also notice that they have holes above the round sound piece in the body – this is to help get the sound into the cone (the round metal piece). This was and still is used a lot by people who played the blue or jazz. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
- Amplifies the sound without plugging into an amplifier.
- Perfect for jazz players. Just sounds more Jazzy.
- Not a very nice looking guitar.
- More expensive than the regular acoustic or electric guitar.
- Because it uses steel strings it can be tough on the finger tips.
THE ELECTRIC GUITAR
The electric guitar has to be at the centre of all guitaring. This is the instrument used for most rock, pop, jazz or even classical bands. Playing these guitars is much easier than most acoustic guitars. If you are a beginner guitarist I would recommend you start by purchasing an electric guitar. You will also need to purchase an amp and an amp cable that will be used to connect the amp up with your guitar. You can also use your cable to plug into a sound system and you can control some of the sound from the guitar body or sound system. The strings on the electric guitar are the same as the acoustic, some do have thicker strings. All electric guitars come with steel strings..
- Easy to play as the neck are narrow.
- Can play through AMPS or sound systems.
- Does not hurt the tip of your fingers as the strings are a lot thicker.
- Perfect for beginners to learn on and should be the guitar of choice when buying your first guitar.
- Stays in tune longer than acoustic guitars.
- Are more sturdy than the acoustic guitar.
- You can control the sounds that are played from this guitar via the sound system, peddles or nobs on the guitar body.
- You can purchase a cheap but good quality electric guitar, they not too expensive.
- You can purchase a good quality electric guitar. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
THE BASS GUITAR
The bass guitar is a very important instrument in most bands. The sound from this guitar fills up otherwise empty parts of a song. Most bass guitars come with four strings and are a lot easier to play than the six string guitar. The bass guitar plays one chord at a time and the beat and speed normally follows from the drums. The guitar can look a lot like the electric guitar as the body and neck look the same. Learning to play the bass guitar is also easier than any other guitar. The main reason for this is that there are four strings and you play with one finger placement at a time making learning ten times easier.
TIPS FOR PLAYING THE BASS BETTER
- Do not play your open strings. The bass guitar is not like the regular acoustic as you only need to pick or strum the string that you have your finger on.
- Make sure you play to the beat of a song by following the beat from the drummer. Do not make your own beat especially if you are a beginner.
- You cannot play this guitar with a pick.
- Does not go out of tune easy.
- Very easy to learn as there are less chords.
- Does not hurt your fingers as other six string guitars. The guitar strings are also a lot thicker.
- Guitars are well priced.
- You cannot play this guitar without an AMP or sound system. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
Learning to play the guitar is fun, you also have a huge range of guitars you can choose from depending on your preference. I started on the acoustic and am considering purchasing myself an electric guitar soon. Out of all the above guitars I do prefer the electric guitar. The six string acoustic is also fun and sounds great. The bass guitar is awesome to play and looks really cool. I have not played the twelve string guitar as of yet or the resonator guitar. The resonator guitar does not look very nice and is not something I would want to learn to play as I do not enjoy the style of it. – Types of Guitars with Pictures
If you are a beginner guitarist I would definitely recommend a cheap six string acoustic guitar. If you see you enjoy playing the guitar than I would suggest the electric guitar as there are so many things you can do with it. If you want a challenge you should get the twelve string guitar as they are more difficult to play but is not for the beginner. If you want to stand out from the crowd I suggest you get the resonator guitar, but this will really make you stand out and could be a conversation starter. So whatever you preference or desire is, there is a guitar to match it. The are other guitars I did not add to this list like the ukulele’s, traveller guitars and some others. I rather focused on the main stream guitars that are used. Please also take some time to browse some other articles like Guitar Hacks, 7 of The Best Guitar Hacks for Any Guitarist and 100 Super Easy Guitar Songs For Beginners. – Types of Guitars with Pictures